Monday, December 22, 2008

Background

Starting 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, with no notice, I started getting dizzy. It began only a few times a day, always when sitting. I also noticed a spike in headaches. I dismissed it, thinking I was getting a cold or maybe the flu. But once 2 weeks had gone by and nothing else surfaced, I got concerned. I was worried, not so much for me, but for what could happen while I was home with Carolyn all day. If I were to pass out, she would be all my herself until Jon arrived home around 4pm. So the day after Thanksgiving, we went to Immediate Care. The doctor did some basic neurologic tests as well as checked my ears and found nothing. He referred me to a neurologist. So I made an appointment for the following week. At that appointment, the neurologist checked my blood pressure laying and sitting, and did several neurologic tests. We discussed family history and what's going on with my life. He found nothing disturbing, other than the dizziness. So he wrote scripts for blood work, an EKG, EEG, and MRI. I made those appointments the following day.
I had my follow appointment at the end of the following week. I was then informed that everything was normal, except the MRI. A 7mm spot was found on the MRI in my left frontal lobe. The neurologist suggested that it could be a vascular malformation and sent me for a CT. Not sure what that would show, he also sent me for a 24hr halter EKG. I was told I could not breastfeed for 48hrs following the CT due the iodine injection. Concerned about that, I contacted the lactation consultant from the hospital and heard the best news so far. I had been given false information, I would be fine to continue breastfeeding. I had the tests done Wednesday, and had my follow up Friday.
On Thursday night, a bad storm hit the area, bad enough to close Jon's school. So only the neurologist was in the office. He got the report faxed over and we discussed the results. I was informed that what had been found was not a vascular malformation, but rather a meningioma. The goods news, it is on the lining of my skull and not on my brain. The bad news, it is almost definitely not the result of the dizziness. Having not received the EKG results, he said he would call today.

No comments:

Post a Comment